Sunday, November 4, 2007

Initial Musings 11/4/07

When I got up this morning, I never thought I'd be creating a blog. Well, that goes to show you - you think you know, but you never know. So here goes. Might as well set the bar high:

May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. Galatians 6:14

To burn one’s boats is to cut oneself off from all means or hope of retreat. The allusion is to Julius C├Žsar and other generals, who burned their boats or ships when they invaded a foreign country, in order that their soldiers might feel that they must either conquer the country or die, as retreat would be impossible.

The “world” system and I are supposed to be cut off from each other; I am dead to the world system, as if I had cut all my ties to it. It offers nothing to me for pleasure, for all my pleasure is found in Jesus Christ. I have arrived in the Promised Land and there is no going back – I’ve burned my boats.

Now all I have to do is live up to it.

No comments: